- Keep drapes open on windows facing the sun in the daytime, but close all drapes at night.
- Keeping shades and drapes closed will reduce chill from cold windows, lessen drafts, and reduce costs.
Close storm doors as well as your regular door. You need both to cut energy costs.
- Seal air leaks by caulking and weather-stripping doors. That keeps heat in - and heating costs down.
Install them! They pay for themselves by keeping cold air out.
- Repair broken windows. Even a small crack drives up fuel bills.
- For a loose window, use caulk. Tightening loose panes cuts the cold coming into the house.